Re: Omega (Boxer) Fedora Remix

On 17/12/09 05:08, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 12/17/2009 03:23 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

    After the first yum update:
    Linux box6 2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 9 10:46:22 EST
    2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Grub shows the original as:
    vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64

    Notice that it appears to have recognized this box as able to use 64
    bit apps? I was surprised to see that after the install.
This is the arch issue I was talking about. Do a hiccup in the compose,
x86_64 kernel got pulled in. This is bound to confuse yum among other
things.  You can download the 32-bit kernel and install it manually as a
workaround.

Rahul

The question then becomes what is box 6? Is it capable of running as a a 64 bit computer? I do a lot of reconfiguration immediately after install and yum collected 64 bit apps wherever possible and it all seems to be working!

Do I need to wipe it out and start over? I'm not sure what I have for a computer, it's always run 32 bit.

This F-11 [box9] computer I believe is 32 bit, it's about six months earlier in manufacture.

But dmidecode for box6 [F-12] shows the following data:

BIOS Information
        Vendor: Dell Inc.
        Version: A09
        Release Date: 06/22/2005
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 512 kB
        Characteristics:
                PCI is supported
                PNP is supported
                APM is supported
                BIOS is upgradeable
                BIOS shadowing is allowed
                Boot from CD is supported
                Selectable boot is supported
                EDD is supported
                Japanese floppy for Toshiba 1.2 MB is supported (int 13h)
                Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
                8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
                Serial services are supported (int 14h)
                Printer services are supported (int 17h)
                ACPI is supported
                USB legacy is supported
                LS-120 boot is supported
                BIOS boot specification is supported
                Function key-initiated network boot is supported

:

Processor Information
        Socket Designation: Microprocessor
        Type: Central Processor
        Family: Pentium 4
        Manufacturer: Intel
        ID: 41 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
        Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 4, Stepping 1
        Flags:
                FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
                VME (Virtual mode extension)
                DE (Debugging extension)
                PSE (Page size extension)
                TSC (Time stamp counter)
                MSR (Model specific registers)
                PAE (Physical address extension)
                MCE (Machine check exception)
                CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
                APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
                SEP (Fast system call)
                MTRR (Memory type range registers)
                PGE (Page global enable)
                MCA (Machine check architecture)
                CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
                PAT (Page attribute table)
                PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
                CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
                DS (Debug store)
                ACPI (ACPI supported)
                MMX (MMX technology supported)
                FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
                SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
                SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
                SS (Self-snoop)
                HTT (Hyper-threading technology)