sound problem

Every time after a fresh reboot, the volume is at 100%. The volume works,
I can turn it down afterwards, but it's deafening the first time. It
seems pulseaudio doesn't want to remember the current level upon exit. Is
there some option that I can set in some obscure config file to make it
remember?

Oh, yeah, and in gmixer

- under the pulseaudio mixer I have a single slider (Master) which I have
to keep REALLY low, or I'll go deaf, and it I move it up just a tad it
shows some 2000-3000%. That's too much.

- under the alsa mixer for some reason the headphone slider changes the
volume and it is this one that is always maxed out upon start up. The
master slider and the pcm slider also change the volume. I think
pulseaudio got its devices wrong.

Thanks!