Re: Help: No internet connection

2009/12/13  <simon.schneebeli@xxxxxxxx>:
> Quoting Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 13:35 -0700, simon.schneebeli@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> My problem is definitively not linked to the fedora-webpage being
>>> down. Meanwhile I made some progress:
>>>
>>> At my brothers place I managed to connect to the internet with no
>>> problem. All programmes worked, so I could add all the additional
>>> programs I needed and install the latest updates.
>>>
>>> Now, back home, my problem is the following:
>>> - DOES NOT WORK: Firefox, Thunderbird, Evolution (error connecting to
>>> the server)
>>> - DOES WORK: Opera, Sype, Software update, Ping.
>>
>> It would be nice to have an expanded version of "DoES NOT WORK"
>> What happens when you try Firrefox, for example?
>
> Firefox: I immediately get the message "Server not found, Firefox can't find
> the server at [webpage].
>
> Thunderbird: "failed to connect to server [name of server]
>
> Evolution: "Error while fetching mail".
>
> RPM: "Couldn't resolve host"
>
> To mention again: These messages appear immediately, not only after some
> seconds like the server doesn't answer...

What strikes me about that list is the ones that don't work are
NetworkManager aware - I wonder if NetworkManager is telling them the
connection is offline.

Do you have a NetworkManager icon in your systray? Does it show your
network connection? How are you setting up your connection? What's
different between your network when at your Brother's house?

More info please...

--
Sam