Re: No Flash/sound in F12 Firefox

Frank Cox writes:

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 07:01 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
A contributing factor may be privoxy, which I use. By itself, privoxy
is benign, of course, and has no effect,aside from cleaning up all the clutter. One possibility, that occured to me, is the loaded flash code quietly calling back to the mothership, which privoxy blocks; and with no checking of the error path, flash is crashing.

I use privoxy too and, as I posted earlier, that page works for me.

Well, then, I don't know. Putting libflashplayer.so back in, I don't have to work very hard to make flash bomb out. Even after letting abrt download about a hundred debuginfos and install them, it does not produce a very useful backtrace:

Thread 1 (Thread 19484):
#0  0x0000003669e0ee6b in raise (sig=<value optimized out>)
   at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/pt-raise.c:42
       resultvar = 0
       pid = <value optimized out>
#1  0x000000367aa7752a in nsProfileLock::FatalSignalHandler (signo=4)
   at nsProfileLock.cpp:212
       unblock_sigs = {__val = {8, 0 <repeats 15 times>}}
       oldact = <value optimized out>
#2  <signal handler called>
No symbol table info available.
#3  0x00007f6626293683 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#4  0x00007f662b2225d8 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.

…

80 0x00007f662b0eda40 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#81 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
Current language:  auto
The current source language is "auto; currently c".

The only clue is that Firefox here dies with SIGILL:

Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
#0  0x0000003669e0ee6b in raise (sig=<value optimized out>)
   at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/pt-raise.c:42
42				 sig);

As I understand it, flash gets compiled to native code. This is a relatively old Opteron:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 5
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 240
stepping        : 1

I suspect that some bits of flash code get compiled into x86_64 instructions that are not implemented on my older CPU. So, although I can watch video on youboob, apparently most other flash sites get compiled into x86_64 code that won't work on my older CPU.

Oh well.