Re: Fedora 12 sha1sum

Todd Zullinger wrote:
Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- On Sat, 11/21/09, Felipe Nunez <gatopardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
when I verify the sha1sum
 for the twice download files I get the same value in both
cases:
$
sha1sum f12/Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
97a018ba32d43d0e76d032834fe7562bffe8ceb3
 f12/Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
$
sha1sum Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
97a018ba32d43d0e76d032834fe7562bffe8ceb3
 Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
[...]
There was a change to sha256sum , please run
$ sha256sum Fed*
and see if they match or not?

We got so many questions on this that we added a large red note to the
top of https://fedoraproject.org/verify telling folks that the 'Hash:
SHA1' line is part of the PGP signature and has nothing to do with the
type of checksum used for verifying the .iso.

For future releases, the *-CHECKSUM files will include some
instructions and, likely, a link to https://fedoraproject.org/verify
to (hopefully) make this clearer.

Which will be great for those of us that just download stuff and check the checksums without reading any instructions!

I was a little concerned about the checksum not matching on the i386 disc1 iso (I rsync all the rest and install of my own repo servers), and decided to check the list before crying for help! For a change I actually found a thread with the answer (normally I just don't use the right search info).