Re: Old Dual Pentium III 500Mhz Servers

Aaron Gray skrev:
I had FC4 and FC5 on the older servers.
Now have F11 on the two newer machines.

The new machines seem slower than the old ones were when they were
originally put on line 4 or 5 years ago when running Apache

It this a F11 v FC5 thing, or can I claw back some cycles by disabling
some services and streamlineing Apache ?

Hi, Aaron. I've noticed a difference between FC6/Centos5 and F10 in how 'snappy' they feel, though I haven't compared them directly much. The only 'measure' I have is (don't laugh) Gnomine; if you hit a square that opens a lot of squares, it's instant on FC6/Centos5, but it seems unintentionally(?) 'animated' on F10. This is presumably such a simple program that I guess the reason in this case is a much more complex graphics/GUI subsystem. (This is all on one system; dualboot).

I wonder how one could profile an entire OS to find out where the cycles go? Is it feasible?

(Disclaimer: I used to have FC6 on the machine, but changed to Centos5 some time after the FC6 lifetime. I'm not sure about how directly they would compare performancewise; am I wrong in thinking that they shouldn't be too far apart? )

Best regards,
Frode Petersen