Re: Samba with Windows XP client

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 10:28:04PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
> What puzzles me is that I never have any problem
> accessing all files and folders if I login on the Windows machine
> (with the same name and password that I use in Samba).

If that's the case, then I suspect Samba's not connecting with the
credentials we think it's supposed to use.

> I must admit I don't understand the Windows XP Pro permission setup;
> Can you suggest a document that describes this?

Heh.  No; I've learned (painfully) over the years.  However, googling
with "NTFS permissions explained" will give you a number of overviews
and tutorials.

> How exactly does one determine if one has "full rights" on a folder?
> Doesn't the fact that I can browse through a folder on the Windows machine
> show that I have full rights on the folder?

You'd think.  Right-click on a folder--if you're running XP Pro, you can
then click on the "Security" tab.  That'll show who has permissions, and what
permissions.  For XP Home, it's not as easy.  The first place to look
might be:

  http://tweakhound.com/xp/xpperm/xpPerm1.htm

Do this after you've looked at some of the permissions tutorials.

Another thing--you may want to get Webmin.  Yeah, yeah--real
{Uni|Linu}xHeads Use The Command Line, and eat config files for
breakfast.  Nevertheless, Webmin can give you a real leg up in
configuring services, including Samba; you can then go read the config
files generated to figure out what it's really doing.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx