Re: Evince "home directory"

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 21:16 +0100, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
> > Besides, things are done in an inconsistent manner.  For example, if I
> > start "gnome-terminal"  from the menus in a Gnome session it will start
> > in $HOME.  But, if I start it from the menus in a KDE session it will
> > start in $HOME/Documents.  To change the behavior I need to edit the
> > menu item and change the "Work Path" since someone thought it would be a
> > good idea to default to that directory.
>
> So we actually have:
> - the obvious base directory for the user ($HOME)
> - the obvious base directory for that kind of files ($HOME/Downloads)
> - the obvious preferred behavior chosen by the menu creator ($HOME/Documents)
> - the obvious directory chosen by the user (where he saved last time)
>
> And I actually still miss the best of all:
> - the current working directory
>
> If I'm in a console and type
>
>   cd /mnt/documents/finance/reports/2009/11/03
>   oowriter
>
> I would really like that the save-as file selector would
> _not_ open on the "obvious" places, but open in the current directory
> (you know, it's called current for a reason).

I couldn't agree more. I find this behaviour maddening. I imagine it's
because when started from the GUI the concept of current directory is
vague at best, but when starting from the Shell they definitely should
take note of it.

It's also infuriating that every time I need to store a file using one
of the standard file dialogues, e.g. from Firefox, I have to navigate to
the right place *every time*. Even within the same session of the app,
there's no short-term memory of the last place I stored a file.

As someone very wisely said, GUI apps are not easy to use, they're just
easy to learn.

poc