Re: "shutdown now" on F11 as root problems and app crashes in

Bob;

I did go back and read it, should have done that first. I did read that one of the options the action taken is system dependent, the "-h" option. That makes things more interesting.

I'm sitting here at work, eating lunch, reading the man page, again, for the shutdown command using a remote VNC session to my F10 box at home. I don't see anything that mentions any sort of default action if you fail to supply one of the options to the shutdown command. All it says in general at the end of the man page is :

"When invoked it generates a runlevel event, with an argument containing the new runlevel."

I'll have to look specifically at the one, man page, on the F11 box later when I get home. Your comment suggests they are not the same.

One last comment. If I was not by the local attached console and saw what happened, but was working remotely when I issued the "shutdown now" command, having the system drop down to a CLI interface, single user mode, with the root prompt showing isn't very comforting. Also my remote VNC session terminated too. Not my idea of a way to lose control of the box and give somebody else the chance to have some fun at the "free" root prompt either. Lucky for me this box is on my home network where I'm the only one with physical access.

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO