Re: How to run a php script which contains a pdf

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Saturday 31 October 2009 21:29, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Nigel Henry

<cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was trying to read an online tool catalogue, and noticed a PDF button
at the bottom of the webpage. Clicked on it, and it opened the dialog box
to download. What has been downloaded though is a .php script (27.3MB).

The properties shows that it contains a pdf document, but I've no idea
how to run it, open it, or whatever needs to be done, to get to see the
PDF.

Any suggestions folks.

Nigel.

Try to rename it:

mv FILE_NAME.php FILE_NAME.pdf

and open it with Evince

Renaming it has done the job, and it has opened with no problems.

Many thanks.

Nigel.

There is a simple way to check a file to see if it really is a pdf. Open it in a text editor. If the first four characters are '%pdf', then it is safe to rename it.

These first four bytes are the magic number in Unix based systems. This is a much more reliable and flexible way to mark files with a type than the extensions used by Microsoft. I believe the 'type' command will also tell you what this marker means. i.e. 'type FILE_NAME.php'.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP