Re: two major failures after yesterday updates - RESOLVED

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 06:24 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>>> hardly surprising at all...consumer grade SATA hard drives have
>>>
>> become
>>
>>> unreliable and that is why none of the manufacturer's warranties
>>>
>> them
>>
>>> beyond a year now.
>>>

>> Really?  All of my Seagate drives that I purchase here in Taiwan have
>> 3
>> year warranties.
>>
> ----
> actually some of the WD and Seagate drives have up to a 5 year warranty
> but you have to be careful which you buy (I think the Caviar and
> Barracuda respectively).

Did I read your previous message incorrectly?  I thought you were saying
that "none of the manufacturer's warranties them beyond a year now."
And now you seem to be saying that you can get 3 and 5 year warranties
on WD and Seagate drives.

You've confused me.
> The simple truth is as they have increased densities for higher amounts
> of storage, the error rates have remained constant and they are more
> prone to failure.

Are you making any differentiation between badspot failures and total
drive failure?
> Though I have stopped using RAID-5, this link is pretty sobering...
>
> http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technology/features/article.php/3839636
>
> and there are varying grades of SATA drives being sold so there is a
> need to be cautious.

I think the idea of "varying grades" extends well beyond SATA drives.  :-)

Caveat emptor.

--
God made everything out of nothing, but the nothingness shows through.
-- Paul Valery Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7