Re: Why should a machine not boot liveCD if HD fails?

Ted Roche-2 wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> why would a computer with a failed SATA hard
>> drive be unable to boot from a liveDVD in the optical drive?
>
> Perhaps the machine's BIOS was not configured to boot from the optical
> drive.

No - what I have done for a long time is set it to boot from HD but when
starting the boot process, like many machines you can hit F12 and select
which device to boot from - that is how I do many processes like
partitioning etc....

In fact with no alteration in the BIOS settings at all - once the new HD was
in place I interrupted the boot with F12 and selected the optical drive to
start PartedMagic from the liveDVD  - exactly this process worked once the
new drive was in place where it failed to do so with the dead HD in place -
that is something I never experienced before.

Clearly whatever had failed in the drive did something really bad to the
system so that booting from the other drive would not work - that was why it
was such as nasty failure - and led me to believe that it was more than just
a bad HD - maybe others have had something similar?

Anyway f11 is now running on the machine in question and it is doing its
long yum update as I write this...