Re: [OT] any good online doc for the details of compiling "hello, world"?

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 02:36 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > not really a fedora question, but i'm interested in a step-by-step
> > description of what happens when one compiles and runs "hello,
> > world". it's sort of a fedora question since i want to relate
> > those steps to the essential fedora packages and where they come
> > into play (gcc, cpp, glibc-devel, libgcc, and so on), related to
> > things like crtbegin, crtend, etc.  i'm thinking you get the idea.
>
> Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but I read this book a few
> years ago:
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pgubook/
>
> It's now available under the GNU FDL (although I think a print
> edition is still available). It covers basic programming using
> assembler and picks apart classic examples like "Hello World" at the
> instruction level.

  that doesn't go as deep as i'd like.  actually, after i thought
about it a bit longer, i realized that i'd like a document that gets
into the details of gcc debugging and optimization in the sense of
actually *explaining* it.  it's one thing to read the gcc manual to
see what options are available, but it's quite another to truly
understand what they all represent.

  does such a document exist?

rday