Re: grub.conf options [redux]

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 07:28:00PM -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 15:09 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Where are they documented?
> > In particular:
> >       * What does the quiet option do?
> >       * How can I get the system to display messages during shutdown?
> >         rhgb suppresses messages during bootup.  Is there a similar
> >         option for shutdown?  If so what is it?
> >       * In my grub.conf, timeout=5.  Nevertheless the grub starts the
> >         boot process after 3 seconds.  What am I missing?
>
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 19:00 -0500, Mikkel wrote:
> > You may want to run "pinfo grub" - it will open the Grub info file.
> > If you do not have pinfo installed, you can run "info grub".
>
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 22:28 +0000, g wrote:
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/
>
> I have looked at both of these places carefully.  They are both versions
> of the same document, which answers none of my questions.  More info is
> solicited.

Do look at /proc/cmdline and map what
you see in the grub file associated with a kernel
boot line.

There are way too many layers in a boot loader.
In most cases linux boots via a chain loader with
each layer having its own options and flags.

`stage1'
`stage2'
`e2fs_stage1_5'
`fat_stage1_5'
`ffs_stage1_5'
`jfs_stage1_5'
`minix_stage1_5'
`reiserfs_stage1_5'
`vstafs_stage1_5'
`xfs_stage1_5'
`stage2_eltorito'
`nbgrub'
`pxegrub'

This bit is important... from the "info grub" pages.
It (grub) also has a user interface and a "command line".
These commands can only be used in the menu:

* Menu:
* default::                     Set the default entry
* fallback::                    Set the fallback entry
* hiddenmenu::                  Hide the menu interface
* timeout::                     Set the timeout
* title::                       Start a menu entry

etc...
Not limited to the menu:
* bootp::                       Initialize a network device via BOOTP
* color::                       Color the menu interface
* device::                      Specify a file as a drive
* dhcp::                        Initialize a network device via DHCP
* hide::                        Hide a partition
* ifconfig::                    Configure a network device manually
* pager::                       Change the state of the internal pager
* partnew::                     Make a primary partition
* parttype::                    Change the type of a partition
* password::                    Set a password for the menu interface
* rarp::                        Initialize a network device via RARP
* serial::                      Set up a serial device
* setkey::                      Configure the key map
* splashimage::                 Use a splash image
* terminal::                    Choose a terminal
* terminfo::                    Define escape sequences for a terminal
* tftpserver::                  Specify a TFTP server
* unhide::                      Unhide a partition

Some flags apply to individual commands... see "terminal"
-- Command: terminal [`--dumb'] [`--no-echo'] [`--no-edit']
          [`--timeout=secs'] [`--lines=lines'] [`--silent'] [`console']
          [`serial'] [`hercules']

And most importantly most of the "interesting" stuff is not done by grub
at all.  For example once the kernel is loaded it is passed a set of
flags and each kernel has a list slightly different from the last kernel.