Re: F11: Spooky network manager

Le Vendredi, 16 Oct 2009 05:25:40 -0700,
Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 06:05 -0400, lanas wrote:

> > So, should I delete this login.keyring file ?  I'm porceeding with
> > care here since this laptop is a gift and the birthday is coming
> > near.  I wouldn't want to screw things up badly at this point.
> >
> > In parallel I will try Aaron's suggestion and use the plain network
> > management utility.  I'd sure would like to use the latest
> > technology, though as it surely is better (sarcasm, a bit).

> 1. NetworkManager is a Gnome application and I think uses the gnome
> keyrings anyway. I also use KDE and see the same thing as you
> (.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring)  - Delete this file or simply move it
> if you worry about deleting. It will be recreated the next time it
> asks you for a password on NetworkManager.

This works well.  And it was also possible to set the static IP and
route (def gateway).  So all is well.

> 2. Aaron is giving you nothing of usefulness. A laptop should use
> NetworkManager for connecting to wireless networks...that's one of the
> things that it is designed to do.

I'd agree with this in the general sense.  Although in this context it
could have been done with iwconfig et al. since the laptop uses always
the same AP.  For 5 years I built and used my own Linux OS both at home
and work, and started Wifi the home-built way.  The I veered off
ready-made distros but still have notes about how to set this up.

Makes me think, since I'm still keeping an eye on scaled-down, to the
point apps, what about wicd as an alternative to NM ?  I'm tempted to
try it eventually.  No gnome dependencies.  Has a ncurses-based
interface for console modes and some other nifty features.  A nicer GTK
UI.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

> Your problem has been with not realizing that keyrings have one
> password, Wireless AP's have their own password and that they are not
> the same.

The problem in fact was that after the Fedora 11 install I was asked to
supply a password (see original post) that I never created.  So how
could I guess a password that I haven't made ?  Once the keyring file
was deleted, then I was asked to *create* a password, which makes much
more sense.  I'd classify this not as a problem, but as a Fedora/gnome
keyring bug.

On first use the user should be asked not to enter a password for the
keyring, but to *create* a password.  This was not the case.

Cheers.