Re: Network Manager doesn't play nice

On 10/13/2009 12:47 PM, Tait Clarridge wrote:
On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 12:22 -0400, brian wrote:
On 10/13/2009 12:11 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:16:45 -0400
brian wrote:

Now, I had the file backed up anyway but I don't see any warning in the
docs that it does this. Is it just me, or is this rather shoddy
behaviour on NM's part?

By default, NM sets up a "complete" Internet connection for you.  Part of that
is creating a resolv.conf file.

I understand that. The point I was trying to make is that it destroyed
an existing file in the process. It's very simple to write software that
avoids doing that.

But if it is setup to not recreate the resolv.conf (which you can change
I believe) then there would be a lot of complaints from people who
cannot figure out resolv.conf for themselves.

If I recall correctly you should be able to add PEERDNS=no to
your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX file (where X is the
interface number eg. eth0) and it shouldn't overwrite it.

Maybe I'm not being clear enough. IMHO, if a file--especially something as basic as resolv.conf--exists, it should never be overwritten by some app without backing it up first. Think of all those .rpmnew files, for instance. It seems to me a bit ridiculous that NM would just blow away the file like that. ESPECIALLY as it replaces the contents with nothing but comments.

I think this is a huge oversight. It's an all-or-nothing approach that leaves a box blind to DNS if the user decides (as in my case) that NM is not actually required/desired.

Thanks for the tip about PEERDNS, though.