Re: Dell Inspiron 537s

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 12:13:17 -0700,
  David L <idht4n@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would know before shelling out $500 that it's likely to
> be well supported.  I'd even kick in $20 to the fedora

That's going to be tough. Do they guaranty which components get used in
a model. (I thought the low end models got whatever is cheap this week,
but could be wrong.) The do support RHEL on some of their machines, but
given the included hardware, I suspect that is with some proprietary
drivers, so the Fedora experience may not be nice even if RHEL works.

> to the exact system they buy.  I have struggled with a
> crappy intel driver on my IBM thinkcentre for the last 6
> fedora releases and I'd really like to not repeat that
> experience when buying new hardware.  Since the list
> of pre-installed Linux systems from major desktop
> manufacturers is pretty short, it seems like it should be
> easy to get such a system on a desk at redhat.

The last machine I didn't scrounge, I built myself based largely in part on
recommendations from DJB. It was a fun experience for some definitions
of fun. For a desktop, doing this is practical for people willing to commit
some time and risk breaking something. (I managed to snag a condensor and had
to solder a replacement from radio shack, onto the motherboard.) Laptops seem
to be a much harder case for doing this kind of thing.