Re: Using a USB Hub on Linux ?

On Friday 09 October 2009, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 12:56 -0400, Jim wrote:
>> Fc11/KDE
>>
>> Is there anyone out that is using a USB hub to connect to one USB
>> Printer from mulitiple computers ?

No, that won't work.  See the 2nd part of my reply, which assumes all your
computers are connected via ethernet at local addresses (192.168.zz.xx where
all the zz's match so the subnets match.)

>> Like auto self detect hub on each port. Not a switch hub.
>>
>> I have tried two different ones with no luck .
>>
>> Could you give me some Make, Models.
>
>?
>
>As far as I know USB doesn't support this mode of operation.  There can
>be only one master, ie PC connected to a hub.

True, but hubs _can_ be daisy-chained.

Right this moment, my usb tree has branches as much as 4 hubs deep to get to
the target device.  There are 6 ports on this motherboard, an ALPS 7 port hub
is plugged into one of those, two 20 foot extension cables which are in fact
hubs used as repeaters, and one of those is plugged into another 4 port, into
which is plugged a Brother Laser printer, and another ftdi rs-232 adapter.
And it all works, at USB-2.0 speeds.

Maybe I don't know the difference between a hub and a switch hub, all I know
is that it appears to work.  ISTR hearing the limit was 127 such daisy
chains, but that has not been personally tested, as it would impinge on the
credit cards balance for no visible benefit to me.

>What you could do is connect the printer to one computer and then share
>it over the network or use a USB printer server that has a USB port on
>it.

And more such tomfoolery simply because the distro's will not include even a
skeleton /etc/cups/client.conf file.  My printers, all of them, are available
to every machine on my local home network.

A typical /etc/cups/client.conf:
---------------
# Client.conf
ServerName coyote.coyote.den
That particular file actually lives on a kubuntu-6.06 LTS box that runs my
milling machine in a small building in the back yard.  This box is "coyote",
and all the printers are connected to this box.

I have exactly the same display for http://localhost:631/printers on that box
as I have on this box, or on any machine that is powered up, 2 others ATM.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<Culus> there is 150 meg in the /tmp dir! DEAR LORD