Re: talk set up

Hiisi wrote:
Thanks everybody for your responses. Using chkconfig I was able to configure it.

2009/10/8 Mail Lists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
 You could run jabber daemon - then use any standard IM client which
supports jabber (that for example is the underlying protocol for google
chat).

I'll consider it. Thank you.

Respectfully
Hi Hiisi,

Nobody else has mentioned this, but I would also block the well-known port for talk (udp 517) closed on the gateway machine you have connected to the Internet. Assuming the gateway machine is a computer running Linux, you would use 'iptables' to do this. That should prevent anyone from accesing talk from the Net. Good luck,

-David

PS: The others are right about it's security issues, bu if nobody can access it from the Net, that shouldn't be a problem, for your LAN.