Re: location of popup helpers question

On Monday 28 September 2009 22:21:48 Rick Stevens wrote:
> Uh, doesn't "ls" show the mtime (modify time) by default?

AIUI, reading a file is an access - in fact if you open a text file anywhere
on your computer then close it without any change you will see the timestamp
get updated.  That does not mean it has been written to.

> So the file
> IS being written to in some manner,

No, it does not mean that.

> even if the size isn't changing.  If
> I were to change every occurrence of the digit "4" with "5" in a file
> and saved the modified version, the size wouldn't change but the mtime
> would.

Irrelevant

> I think the OP said that it appeared that the current message number was
> being updated.  A big message number (5 or 6 digits) would take a while
> to require a sixth or seventh digit, thereby changing the file size.

The message numbers are not in that file, so his comment is an impossibility.

> This is all a bit off the point, though.  kmail seems to work fine for
> most people (I'm a Thunderbird user myself, but I'm weird).  This may be
> a case where a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Anne