Re: How to disable the NIC, then the connection is normal ?

Rick Stevens wrote:

Edward S.P. Leung wrote:

Dear All,

Mine is Fedora Core 6 :
eth0 ( Internet )
eth1 ( Intranet )

Now, due to the envoriment problem, the eth1 need to be disable at this moment, so I try to do the following config
[root@host1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth1
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
# HWADDR=00:17:31:7E:F8:34
IPADDR=192.168.1.254
# IPV6ADDR=
# IPV6PREFIX=
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
# ONBOOT=yes
ONBOOT=no
[root@host1 ~]$

After reboot the network function, the server machine can't to connect with Internet again :
[root@host1 ~]$ ping -c 3 202.175.xxx.xxx
PING 202.175.xxx.xxx (202.175.xxx.xxx) 56(84) bytes of data.
 From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
 From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
 From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

So, how must I modify the config of eth1 interface, then the connection of Internet will be successful ?

Uncomment the "HWADDR=" line to ensure that the configuration ties to
the correct NIC.  It's possible that the ifcfg-eth1 setup is really
messing with eth0 instead.

Second, make sure the default gateway is set up correctly, as your problem sounds like it's not being set. If your default gateway is
on the network served by the ifcfg-eth1 file above, then it won't be
set as you don't have a NIC on that network.  The default gateway is set
by a "GATEWAY=" line in one of the ifcfg-eth* files or in the
/etc/sysconfig/network file.

It'd help if you could post the contents of the following files:

    /etc/sysconfig/network

Also the output of the commands "ifcfg eth0" and "ifcfg eth1".  You can
obfuscate the actual network addresses if you wish or send the stuff to
me off-list and I can try to help you directly.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
-    When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.     -

Hello,

[root@host1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
DEVICE=eth0
BROADCAST=202.175.xxx.xxx
# HWADDR=00:0D:0B:A7:9A:7B
IPADDR=202.175.xxx.xxx
# IPV6ADDR=
# IPV6PREFIX=
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
NETWORK=202.175.xxx.xxx
ONBOOT=yes
[root@host1 ~]$

[root@host1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
HOSTNAME=host1
GATEWAY=202.175.xxx.xxx
[root@host1 ~]$

So, would you mind to give me more suggestion / idea / solution ?

Thanks !