Re: F11: Firefox v3.5.2-2 causes daily system lockouts.

On 09/07/09 10:13, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
On 09/07/09 09:33, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
On 09/06/09 23:51, Terry Barnaby wrote:
On 09/06/2009 10:11 PM, Tony Nelson wrote:
On 09-09-06 13:20:31, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090803
Fedora/3.5.2-2.fc11 Firefox/3.5.2

After extensive testing with the divide&  conquer
method, I have discovered that FireFox is causing
all sorts of hissy-fits, the worst, being a complete
system lockout, once per day, requiring a hard-reboot.
This is cause during inactivity, and no, it is NOT the
Gnome screen-saver.  As long as FF is NOT running,
I used my system for 1 week, gnome screen-saver w/
random - not a single lockout, no problems.

The second worse part about FF is the rendering of
the graphics are horrible - extra black lines vertically,
horizontally, both on forums with tables, and some
weird characters every now and then.

I also see font rendering artifacts, mostly in Firefox, but in other
apps as well. I blame the video driver, possibly the EXA acceleration,
though I haven't tried XAA yet (per `man radeon`).  I have an old ATI
Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE] rev 0.  It could be that your lockups
have the same cause.

I also had quite a lot of lock-ups with a system using an ATI R200 based graphics chip (and issues with a R300 ATI stsrem). I suspect that the fact that you use Firefox a lot leads you to suspect Firefox although the
problem affects many other apps ...
In my case compiling and using the latest freedesktop drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati
graphics driver code from git sources fixed the issues.
Unfortunately there have been no drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati updates for
Fedora 11 yet ...

I don't use Firefox alot.  The point of all of this is
that if you leave firefox running, the very moment
that your system idles and goes into screenlock, it's
all over. You cannot get back in. You are forced to
reboot.

Likewise if you kill Firefox for the day or night,
the system will idle, go in screenlock, and you
can get back in after typing your password.

I have tested Thunderbird, and it does not cause
lockouts.  I have tested other browsers, same thing,
no lockouts.

The culprit is Firefox v3.5.2-2, or so I think.

I am going to downgrade FF to 3.4, if that does not work,
3.0 or just throw it away completely,  Firefox has changed
many things including the API (XULRunner) and has not
tested this release fully, IMO, at least with the 945G/GZ
graphics chip, anyway.

I have F10 (Multi-boot) and do not have these kind of problems.

I have a feeling F10/11 is deja-vue all over again... get it out and
let the end-users test & troubleshoot our problems! Oy veh!

I removed F11-FF v3.5.2-2 and installed F10-FF v3.5.2-1 on F11:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U;
Linux i686; en-US;
v:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090804 Remi/fc10 Firefox/3.5.2-1

Rendering problems went away.  I'll let
you know about lockouts by tomorrow.

Ok, FF v3.5.2-1 works.  No rendering problems and no
lockup problems.  It says that -2 fixes security problems
in XULRunnner - however - it screwed up other things
quite severely as in my case.  I'm staying with -1 until
the next release.