Re: Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

Fennix wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Bruce Korb <bkorb@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:bkorb@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     > I'd forgotten how I did it.  You may remember that I said a long
>     > time ago that you could do it in Activities, but not in desktops.
>     > Now you combine the two.
>     >
>     > Use the desktop cashew to zoom out > create an Activity for each
>     > desktop that you want - IOW 4 desktops = 4 Activities
>     > Configure each Activity with the wallpaper you want.
>     > you are back where you started.
>     >
>     > Now go to each desktop, zoom out, set one Activity to use that
>     > desktop, zoom in.  Do this for each desktop.  Now you can use
>     > your desktops just as you always did, but each has settings
>     > that are independent of each other.
>     >
>     > Takes a few minutes to set up, but from then on it's as easy as it
>     > always was.
>
>     Hi Anne,
>
>     Surely you have to be kidding about the "it's as easy as it always
>     was" comment.  This is not easy.  Especially when you use phrases
>     like, "Use the desktop cashew".  WTF is that?  (OK - I get testy
>     before lunch time...;)  Would you please be kind enough to explain
>     the steps to someone who doesn't know a desktop cashew from
>     a KDE activity?  Thank you so much.  Regards, Bruce
>
> Desktop icon in the upper (status?) bar?  There is one in the top-right
> corner and another on the bottom-right corner of your KDE screen.  The
> shape of the icon is the same as that for a cashew nut.  Not sure
> whether the behaviours of each is different.  The upper-corner "cashew"
> I am fairly certain should open with options to govern the general
> desktop behaviour.  The lower-right "cashew" I think should be for the
> behaviour of your your task bar across the bottom of the screen.

Found them both, thank you.  I never saw the lower right one and the upper
right one I didn't recognize as a "desktop cashew".  :)  Still, after
"zooming out" I never did find any "create an activity" menu or plasma
configurator for that matter.  I think there are a lot of developers
that are completely uninterested in wading through all the minutia needed
to figure this stuff out.  We basically want to be able to readily see
from our wall paper which "room" (desktop) we're in.  It used to be easy.
It sure ain't easy any more.

Thank you for your help!!  But, I'm still stuck with one wall paper for
12 desk tops.  Regards, Bruce