Re: Updating methods

On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 20:37 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:41:15 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 18:33 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:
> >> I've just gone back to plain ssh
> >> to my userid on her machine, then su - , then yum clean all followed by
> >> yum update.
> >
> > Why the "yum clean all"? It's almost never necessary to do this unless
> > your yum database is screwed up. All your doing is wasting time
> > downloading stuff again.
>
> 	Really? I've been doing it so long I don't even remember where I
> picked it up. Once or twice something seemed to work better after that
> command, so I made a habit of it. Did it use to help more often? I've
> been around longer than yum -- and still mean what my .sig says ....

"yum clean all" simply removes metadata and packages from the local
cache, i.e. it effectively negates any advantage of using the cache at
all. It's *occasionally* recommended to do this to fix problems with the
database and force a complete reload (though more common is "yum clean
metadata" which keeps the package rpms themselves) but it's definitely
not something you want to just do automatically every time.

poc