Re: Testing upload/download bandwidth speeds for verification

It should also be noted that there is latency related to physical
transmission speeds, so if the upload or download does checksums and
verify handshaking, then there will be a delay of the roundtrip at the
speed of light.  Now this seems very fast to most folks, but
electronically it is measurable, and on lines of several miles in
length, it amounts to microseconds per block.  If the block size is say
4K, and you download 4M, that is 1000 blocks.  If the delay is 1usec,
the total delay added is 1ms, or nearly 5000 bytes decrease at 5Mhz.
Also there is additional overhead on normal transmissions that may not
be in place on the speed test, and the speed test probably relates the
bits/sec, which is not the same as the number of usable bytes, since the
TCP uses quite a few bytes per block to specify various things about the
transfer.  All of this slows the response for actual file transfer, in
addition to loading of the sending computer.

	On the speed tests, check both local responders and remote.  I am in
California, I regularly use Irvine and a system in New York.  there is
quite a difference.

Regards,
Les H