Re: auto-updates

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 06:43:59 -0700
stan wrote:

> We voted with our feet.  I turn packagekit off immediately, and do
> updates using yum directly from the command line.  I have scripts that

Me too. I just wish I could turn off packagekit before I ever login
so it doesn't lock up the update process as soon as I do the first login before
I can disable it :-).

> customize the process so it is exactly the way I want it to be.  If you
> want control, it is there for you to utilize.  If you just want the
> packagekit gui developer to make the interface exactly the way *you*
> want it, you'll probably be waiting for awhile.  ;-)

Or even wait for the interface to be remotely sensible at all :-).
Several of us complained about the unitless progress bars in the
very first version, but as far as I know you still can't tell if
it is downloading a 1 meg package over the world's slowest
connection or downloading a 1000 meg package at a good clip -
the progress bars would look exactly the same in either case.

Having installed and updated on lots of different linux distros
for testing software at work, the debian/ubuntu synaptic GUI
is as close to perfect as any I have seen, and the suse yast2
GUI was about the most annoying until packagekit came along
and it takes the prize for being annoying. It is almost like
they carefully researched how all other GUI software update
tools worked and made sure they left out everything that could
be considered remotely useful from all previous designs :-).