Re: Interrpreting modifier codes in /etc/inputrc ??

Thanks Tom;

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 13:25 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:13:14 -0400
> William Case wrote:
>
> > Is there a tutorial or manual that explains or shows what those modifer
> > codes mean.  That is, I know "\e" must mean ESC key but what does the
> > various other codes (e.g. "[1~") mean -- for sure.
>
> I'm pretty sure it just means those characters literally. The various
> vt100 and greater style terminal emulations most commonly used
> in things like gnome-terminal and xterm all generate escape
> sequence that look like that.

You are right -- if I type the those characters literally, the readline
command is performed.

> The question then becomes finding out
> which keys generate those escapes (but the odds are good it will
> be the obvious ones like home and end, etc).

That is the hard part.

For example:
the literal input of both
"\e[5D": backward-word
"\e[1;5D": backward-word
moves the cursor back one word on the command line.
So does Alt-b (Alt=Meta)

the literal input of both
"\e[1;5C": forward-word
"\e[5C": forward-word
moves the cursor forward one word on the command line.

BUT,
Alt-f pops down the File menu in gTerminal
I don't want to override that action.  It could be useful in some
circumstances.

SO;
what keys are equivalent to "\e[1;5C" and/or "\e[5C".  I would like to
bind readline keys universally and systematically so that they don't
interfere with other key setups (keymaps ?? such as Gnome has) yet can
be easily remembered from terminal to terminal.

I could (and probably will) just create some new key bindings but I
thought they should bear some resemblance to the existing binding.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3