Re: cli guru needed

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 18:55 -0700, Bazooka Joe wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Patrick
> O'Callaghan<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Another item that has blown on by is that /dev/sdb is the whole
> >> device.  One
> >> must have at least one mountable partition setup on the device, and
> >> the
> >> filesystem suitably initialized and mounted before the file can be
> >> written.
> >> There are some exceptions to that rule, generally involving either
> >> an .iso
> >> image, or 'dd' which can make an identical image on any writable
> >> device at
> >> least big enough to hold the image.
> >
> > I was assuming the latter, given that the OP's version uses dd. However
> > it's starting to look like he may not be entirely sure of what he's
> > doing.
> >

> What I am doing is: installing an os (first fedora but gave up because
> of bugs then cent) in Virtualbox tweeking cpu settings.  Getting it
> configured to run headless + amd geode processor + other things. then
> once it is ready I run
> VBoxManage internalcommands  converttoraw
> .VirtualBox/HardDisks/cent.vdi cent.raw
> which converts the Vbox image to a raw image readable by dd. Then w/
> dd i write it to the cf card. put the cf card in my embedded appliance
> and see if it works.  I have been tweaking and reinstalling for the
> last day or two.  I got cent working today on this board.
> http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm

I'm slightly surprised you can get the VM to match your hardware closely
enough, but interesting nonetheless.

> With a 4G image it took about 45 min to convert to raw then write to
> cf card. Because I kept redoing it I was looking to shorten that
> conversion time.
>
> on current ubuntu if I just type VBoxManager i am given a list of
> option one of which is converttoraw.

% VBoxManage |grep convert
VBoxManage convertfromraw   <filename> <outputfile>
VBoxManage convertfromraw   stdin <outputfile> <bytes>
%

So no "converttoraw" here, using
VirtualBox-3.0.2_49928_fedora11-1.x86_64

poc