Re: The ideal mail client?

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 19:25 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Alan Cox<alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Evolution really can't cope with large amounts of mail. Thats one big
> > reason I moved to claws. The fact everything else was suddenely faster
> > was a big boon.
>
> I remember my first or second e-mail to this list when I complained
> about Evolution being the default for Fedora and upset the quite vocal
> Evolution fan base...
>
> ;-)
>
> Thunderbird should be a much better default. I couldn't care less if
> Evolution is part of the Gnome software collection.

TB is not without its problems as well, not let's not get into that. The
ostensible reason for favouring Evo is that it's a more-or-less Outlook
replacement, not just a mail client (stop laughing at the back there). I
myself only use it for mail, and I'm lucky in not having to do anything
in the MS-Exchange parallel universe, but those who do don't have much
of an option (complaints about Evo bugs in Exchange support to /dev/null
please).

Even outside the MSE Twilight Zone, plenty of people seem to use Evo's
calendaring, task management etc. features. Some of these are coming to
TB via plugins, but they aren't really there yet AFAIK.

> I still believe in the "best of breed" approach to applications. Just
> because something is developed alongside other app it doesn't mean a
> distro has to automagically adopt it as its default.

I actually agree with you broadly speaking. There's a lot of Not
Invented Here syndrome around. However the choice of a default app
doesn't in most cases have much effect given that you can usually
install your favourite candidate very easily.

poc