Re: Why Fedora is for experts only?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>
>> Fedora has its place. Fedora is a distribution for the user that is
>> smarter that what they are doing. The user that can solve a little
>> problem.
>> (K)Ubuntu has its place. They are distribution for the 'install it and
>> forget it' crowd. They do all the setups and configuration and all of
>> the nanny hand holding.
>
> Is that the general view?
> I ran Kubuntu on one laptop for a time,
> and it seemed 99% identical to Fedora + KDE.
> In fact I couldn't tell which I was using most of the time.
> I went back to Fedora on this laptop
> because it was less trouble to run one distribution.

I read many other lists and several Linux oriented blogs and forums. IMO
what I said was the general view of those users. One common thought
though out was "I want something that 'just works' and I don't want to
have to hunt and search to fix things that don't". "So that is why I
switched from <name_of_ distro_goes_here to (K)Ubuntu."

I, myself personally, know of about ten users (is nine and one is
leaning) that have (might) switched to Kubuntu from several other
reasonably well known distros. No names but you would more than likely
recognize the distro names.

> 1. The difference between KDE and Gnome strikes me as far greater,
> at least as far as the user is concerned,
> than any difference between distributions.
>
> 2. I don't think distributions matter nearly as much as they used to,
> with so many things being run over the web,
> even in a home system.
> Even Linux vs Windows is becoming much less important.

IMO the KDE, in general, provided by KDE oriented distros is 'better'
than the KDE provided by GNOME oriented distro. And that is my opinion
only. I do not use KDE.

However I have seen *great* strides here at Fedora with KDE. Rex
Deiter(sp? last name?) and all have done amazing things of late with KDE
in Fedora over at the kde-fedora repo.

--

  David