Re: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:36:39 -0400 (EDT)
Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   and i'd be delighted if someone could suggest what to add in terms
> of Screen or Modes to get 1280x800, because i've tried several
> variations and nothing worked.  suggestions welcome.  i'm sure it's
> trivial and just one of those combinations i've missed.

Maybe trivial, maybe not. The vesa driver might be restricted to only
modes the video card BIOS can set (not sure how it works). There is
a program named "cvt" shipped with X these days that will generate
a mode line, but it is very hit or miss getting any of the drivers
to accept a manual mode line these days, see:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html

for some of my adventures with mode lines (which says how you can
at least try to install one in the xorg.conf file).

If this is a laptop, there may be some weird utilities out there
to hack the BIOS settings to install modes that don't exist
(I'm sure I remember seeing one for intel based video, maybe
not ati though).