Re: Ranter or evangelist?

> Tim:
>>> This project works differently than Apple Computers.
>
> gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx:
>> And, after 18 years, we have 1% of market share on the desktop.
>
> Commercial software considers market domination to be an indicator of
success.  Others consider it successful when it does what they want it
to, regardless of numbers.  Likewise for manufacturers of other
> products, if they sell what they want, that's all they care about.
Getting too big can have its problems, too.

It's really weird. I already said that you have a gift for explaining,
which means you're certainly not completely dumb. How come you can't
understand the importance of market share for Linux?

If Microsoft tries so hard to take away every part of market share they
can from Linux -- e.g.: the netbooks -- it's certainly that they
understand how important it is for them that Linux gets as little as
possible. So, why wouldn't it be important for Linux to get market share?

At the present time, all the features of the French-Canadian state
television is encrypted in Windows Media. If, in ten years from now,
Microsoft lawyers get rid of their problems with the European Community
and decide they have some time on their hands to break the neck of people
who write codecs, what do you think will happen?

Do you really believe that Radio-Canada will reencode all their features
in Dirac format, a format that nobody will ever use since it's not
included with Microsoft products? Since there's hardly anything encoded in
this format on the net, even most Linux users haven't installed the
codecs! Dirac is not at version 1, perfectly usable apparently.

And other formats could have been used before that weren't streaming.

If there's anything that the Microsoft history teaches us, it's that, in
the end, what counts in order to bring other OSes to complete irrelevance,
is the proprietary formats ordinary people at the base use, not what
servers use.

This has been explained 12 years ago by a Berkely student, but it's still
relevant. It's always same old story, same old song:

>From Microsoft Word to Microsoft World:
How Microsoft is Building a Global Monopoly

A NetAction White Paper

Nathan Newman
Project Director, NetAction

http://www.netaction.org/msoft/world/MSWord2World.html

With ~1% of desktop users with Linux, and maybe half understanding what
Linux is all about, it's impossible to exercise political pressure and
establish a level playing ground.

We need user base and this doesn't necessarily mean making Linux dummer.

> I question that Microsoft puts out an "operating system,"

Question all you want, that's what people use and, if not, they're using
OS X, not Linux. Why does Apple have 5-6% of desktop users when it has
adopted a BSD based system recently and Linux has only 1% and has always
been based on a *NIX system?

Do you believe having as little user base as possible is a goal? If that's
so, with the coming of the Chrome OS, you might feel very glad pretty
soon.

>> What is file filtering? I try to do ~/Desktop/*html and I get no
result.

> With emelfm2, you click a gadget to add a filtering rule, then get to
set things like wildcarding, timestamping, or size filtering, to hide
things from the file listing.

If by "wildcarding" you mean getting some results for ~/Desktop/*txt, I
say this should be working in all browsers, like it always did in
Konqueror, for instance.

I don't mind so much not having filters for time, size, etc. but... I just
took a look at emelfm2 and I made it my default. Norton commander style is
still alive, it seems :) Overkill for beginners, though.

> Just some kind of
>> Brownian motion seemingly going nowhere.
>
> You still misunderstand the project.  And I suspect you're in danger of
thinking that your views on something are better than *all* of the other
people involved in it.

I do know that "all people involved in it" made great things happen... but
we have only 1% market share. Excuse me for insisting.