Re: hostapd, dhcpd-4 and windows vista

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 11:00 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> I'm running a fedora 10 system as a wireless access point, using
> hostapd, the madwifi driver and isc's dhcpd-4.0.  The windows vista
> connects, briefly and then loses the connection after a few minutes,
> and you can't reconnect. does anyone know how I should go about
> debugging this?

Look at your log files...  Posting your config files and relevant parts
of your logs for another set of eyes to peruse can help, too.

Can you run Linux on the computer currently running Windows, instead?
Even if from a live CD.  It might give you a way to diagnose the other
side of the connection.

Some guesses:  Is your server setting a lease time period, is it a
ridiculously short one (the parameter's usually a number stating the
lease in seconds).

I have a Fedora Core 4 box still acting as my DHCP server (ISC's version
3, if I recall correctly), and a Windows Vista laptop that works fine
over an encrypted wireless link.  But I have an Intel WM3945ABG inside
the laptop for the wireless interface, and my wireless access point is a
D-Link device.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686