VirtualBox problem

Chris Thielen wrote,

http://www.computing.net/answers/linux/printer-on-fedora-samba-share/26724.html .

> Thinking about it, this might be the only solution if USB pass-thru
> and parallel pass-thru are not available.

I am using a desktop computer at home and don't have a network. I have
installed VirtualBox so that I can run WIN XP occasionally.
As WIN XP is a virtual machine can it be regarded as on a network?
I have no experience of setting up a network or of setting up Samba so
what would be the best way to go about this?

Alan