Re: "One or more disks are failing" ?

| From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>

| Scott Beamer wrote:

| > SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
| > Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
| > ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
| > UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

| > 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
| >       -       9633546
|
| That is really a lot, typically my three year old drives are showing single
| digits, often zero.

"9633546" is the "RAW_VALUE".  That may not be the count of ECC errors
recovered.  Interpretation of RAW_VALUE depends on the drive
manufacturer.  I know that this seems counter-intuitive.

If you google, you will find a bunch of people worried about high
numbers here.  Some notice it going up faster than the number of reads
performed.

All you can go on is the VALUE, WORST, and THRESH numbers.  They say
the drive is fine, trust us.  I added "trust us" because the
manufacturer's firmware came up with that number in a non-transparent way.

On some Seagate drives, people have figured out that certain raw
numbers are actually two numbers stuck together: some bits are for one
count and some bits are for another.

Here's an insufficiently descriptive FAQ entry on this topic:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#My_hard_disk%28s%29_in_ReadyNAS_is_reporting_high_SMART_Raw_Read_Error_Rate%2C_Seek_Error_Rate%2C_and_Hardware_ECC_Recovered._What_should_I_do%3F