Re: Switch-User fails for kde

While not a "correct solution", here's a workable workaround:

1.  Set up your system to use kdm.
2.  Create a "dummy" account.
3.  Login to the dummy account first, using kde.
4.  Switch-User to get a new login screen, and login with
    whatever account you need, using kde or gnome as desired.
5A. If you are using kde, you can further switch-user for another
    account if you want.  That works perfectly well.
5B. If you are using gnome and you want to switch-user, then first
    use the CTL-ATL-F1 (or is it CTL-ALT-F7) to go to the "dummy"
    account.  From there you can do a switch-user to get another
    login screen.

Notes:
    With this scenario, if you try to switch-user in gnome, then
you get an error message, so no harm, no foul.  It is possible to
switch gdm/gnome and kdm/kde in the above workaround.  The problem
with that is if you try a switch-user from a kde session, it gives
no error messages, but doesn't work and often wipes out other sessions.

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Rich Mahn wrote:
>

>> So the situation at this time is:
>>
>>   if kdm is being used kde switch-user works, but not gnome
>>   if gdm is being used gnome switch-user works, but not kde.
>
> That is the unfortunate, correct characterization of the status quo.  Each
> desktop implemented their own incompatible notions of user switching (with
> my own bias showing that kde had the feature first).
>
> -- Rex

This is a problem in my home as my son and I use KDE but my daughter and
wife use Gnome.

--
Robin Laing