Re: problem with replacing kernel

mohammed shambakey writes:

« HTML content follows »

Hi all
I have fedora 8 installed, and I want to use Linux kernel 2.6.24.7 from <URL:http://www.kernel.org>www.kernel.org, instead of 2.6.26.6-49.fc8 (I just need it). But after I install it and try to reboot, the system gives me errors about mounting somethings and a BIOS error.
Plz help.

You cannot just drop a stock kernel into Fedora and expect it to work. mkinitrd does quite a bit of work in order to assemble an initrd containing all the kernel modules that are required to boot your system. Fedora kernels are built minimalist, and mkinitrd gets invoked when the kernel gets installed. mkninitrd examines your hardware and configuration files, and assembles the initrd image that loads the kernel modules you need.

If you want to install a custom kernel you will need to do a fair bit of work in order to identify which kernel modules you need, and build a kernel that includes the necessary kernel modules. Nobody can tell you what they are, you have to figure it out yourself, by pulling apart your existing initrd, seeing which modules it loads, and then building a kernel that includes those modules.