Re: F10 -> F11 X server problem with /dev/fb0

AF = Aldo Foot
AF>> One way to troubleshoot is to create a
AF>> new Xorg.conf and change the Driver line
AF>> to "vesa".  You need to boot into runlevel 3,

PS = Peter Stieber
PS> I always have inittab setup to boot to run
PS> level 3, then type startx after logging in.

AF>> log in as root and do "Xorg -configure",
AF>> which will create a new config file at
AF>> /root/xorg.conf.new. To use it you'll
AF>> have to move it to /etc/Xorg.conf.

PS> I did this and I have attached the resulting
PS> xorg.conf file.
PS>
PS> When I ran startx, it didn't work.  I've
PS> attached the xorg log file.

AF>> In it find the Device block, like:
AF>>
AF>>   Section "Device"
AF>>      Driver "vesa"
AF>>   EndSection

PS> I'll try this next.

I finally got my local X server to work, but changing the Driver vesa was not enough. Here's the xorg.conf file I used to get a display...

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Screen0"
  Device     "Card0"
  Monitor    "Monitor0"
  DefaultDepth 24
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth     24
    Modes     "1280x1024"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier   "Monitor0"
  HorizSync    36-52
  VertRefresh  36-60
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

I had to put the monitor H sync and V refresh rates in the file for this to work. I did this because I saw 36-0 values in the log and thought it was strange. Is this worthy of a bug report?

So I guess the initial problem was, the new xorg nouveau NVIDIA driver doesn't work with my nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 LE]. Should I file a bug report with Fedora or xorg?

Pete