Re: Live CD fails to boot

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:17:17 +0200
archp2008 <no-reply-gw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have downloaded and burned two different versions of Fedora 11 but
> both copies failed to boot giving text messages about bad sectors,
> etc. The two versions were i686 and the x86-64. I assume that either
> I got two bad copies or the software or (Magiciso) incurred errors
> both times even though no such errors were displayed. I do not recall
> having a single previous error using Magiciso.  Any suggestions would
> be appreciated.  I need to have it spelled out for me how to use
> Checksum. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have had a lot of problems with DVDs not burning correctly in the
past, usually because the program tried to burn them too fast.  Once I
slowed the burn process down, they usually worked.  Could be dirty
lense on the burn laser, old drive mechanism, who knows.  But I
haven't had so much problems with CDs as they seem to be more robust.
You could still turn down the speed.

As far as the checksum, in a directory with both the Fedora
iso file and the iso's checksum-file present, run the command:

shasum -c checksum-file

This will read the list of checksums in the file, and look for the
files that generated those checksums in the present directory.  It will
then run the same check on them that the checksum was generated with in
the file. It will compare the two checksums and tell you if they are
the same.

This uses the perl drop in replacement for the sha1sum family of
checksum calculators.  Otherwise you can use the sha256sum as follows

sha256sum -c checksum-file

again with both files present in the directory where you run it.