Re: F11 scp stalls - rsync command

2009/6/28 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>>
>> I have seen this problem in situations where a router isn't dealing
>> well with window rescaling and out of window packets. I worked around
>> it by doing this on the machines:
>>
>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal
>>
>> If that fixes the issue, to make it persist across reboots, you need
>> to add it to rc.local.
>>
> Wouldn't it be better to add
> net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal = 1
> to /etc/sysctrl.conf, rather then adding the command to rc.local?

Yes, in principle. My recollection is that this didn't work when I
tried it though - the init scripts parse sysctl.conf fairly early, and
before the netfilter/conntrack kernel modules were loaded with the
result that the entry in sysctl had no effect. That test was a few
releases ago though, so the situation may have changed with F-11.

The whole concept of sysctl.conf is a bit flawed presently, IMO.
Presently it's parsed once at startup, whereas it would be a better
design if it contained settings that were applied when a module was
loaded. To do that, modprobe would have to parse it for each module,
which might be prohibitively slow - have never investigated.

J.