Re: samba shares unmountable by user

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 16:56 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> Here is another example of why I run as root on the main box here, regardless
> of how much hell you give me about it.
>
> >From smbclient:
> [gene@coyote Pictures]$ smbclient -L 192.168.71.8
> Enter gene's password: (hit enter, or give it, same difference)
> Domain=[LAPPY] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.3.2]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         print$          Disk
>         pdf-gen         Printer   PDF Generator (only valid users)
>         genesdir        Disk      Gene's home dir
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server 3.3.2)
>         lp2             Printer   Epson C-82 in HQ color mode
>         lp1             Printer   Epson C-82 in C84 mode
>         lp0             Printer   Epson C-82 in C84 mode
>         CUPS-PDF        Printer   Virtual PDF Printer
> (note, the above printer list actually comes from this machine)
> Domain=[LAPPY] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.3.2]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>
>         Workgroup            Master
>         ---------            -------
>         COYOTE.DEN
> --------------
> Ok, so 'genesdir' is there. So I made a mount point in ~/gene/lappy-samba here
> on this box and:
> [gene@coyote Pictures]$ mount -t cifs /lappy.coyote.den/genesdir ./lappy-samba
> mount: only root can do that
>
> There are some pictures stored in ~/gene/Pictures on that laptop that I sorely
> need to access and move as they might help me troubleshoot a transmitter
> problem that is a 900 mile drive away.
>
> What is the secret? (selinux isn't even built into the kernel here)
----
only root can make permanent mounts...you should have learned that by
now. If you look at man page for smbclient or just type smbclient
--help, you will see that there is an option to supply the 'user' name
(-U)

you can either create 'user' entries in /etc/fstab or make virtual
mounted file systems like Sam is demonstrating or you can use just open
konqueror (I believe you use KDE) and entering... 'smb:///' in the
address bar for a cifs/smb browser on your local network.

You can also create auto mounts (see /etc/auto.*) which I have never
done with smb/cifs servers but I know they can be done.

Craig

believed to be clean.