Upgrade F10/XP -- best way?

	My #1 machine has F10 on one hard drive, and XPPro/SP2 on the
other. I very seldom boot the XP drive, and then only to get certain
proprietary map (mostly topo map) software to interface with my GPSs, and
to transfer data back and forth.

	Finally -- after ten years of eager waiting -- I can now do that,
using wine-1.1.23-1.fc10.i386 and two of the four brands of proprietary
software I have. (Garmin's and Maptech's work; DeLorme's and Topo.com's
do not.)

	I don't really know how #1 got the capability. All four of my
GPSs are from Garmin, and one day during a yum update, I noticed an rpm
being installed that included the string "garmin" in its name. I jumped
with joy, tried an install of Garmin map software, and it "just worked."

	On this machine, that is. All my others are already running F11,
and I've been having poor luck with my attempts to duplicate the
capability on any of them. I've called up PackageKit, first to search and
destroy wine; then to search and install rpms containing "gps" or
"garmin"; then to re-install wine. Then I've tried a/o am still trying to
install Garmin's TopoUSA2008, without success so far ...

	So I'm looking at two opposite projects.

	If/when I can count on doing the transfers with Fedora/Wine, I
will take gleeful delight in having a clean (i.e., M$-free) house again
-- and, of course, also in getting another 75 GB of routinely available
storage on machine #1 -- by wiping the XP drive and putting F11 on both.

	If I get a success or two with the map software, I'll want to be
sure the upgrade takes over the whole second hard drive (the one
currently available for XP).

	If I get flat and repeated failures, I'll want the opposite -- to
be sure upgrading F10 does not touch the XP drive.

	So far, I've had better success with preupgrade than with an F11
DVD -- but always on single-boot machines. And the partitioner in
anaconda seems to be particularly fragile at present.

	Which upgrade is to be preferred in each case -- preupgrade, or
DVD??