Re: i want to deny the access to facebook in my machine

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:22:40 +0100
Adel ESSAFI <adelessafi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
> thanks,
> But actually, it does not work
>
> [root@localhost ~]# iptables -I OUTPUT -d 69.63.178.11 -j DROP
> [root@localhost ~]# iptables -I OUTPUT -d 69.63.184.142 -j DROP
> [root@localhost ~]# iptables -I OUTPUT -d 69.63.176.140 -j DROP
> [root@localhost ~]# service iptables restart
> iptables : Suppression des règles du pare-feu :            [  OK  ]
> iptables : Configuration des chaînes sur la politique ACCEP[  OK  ]er
> iptables : Déchargement des modules :                      [  OK  ]
> iptables : Application des règles du pare-feu :            [  OK  ]
> [root@localhost ~]# telnet www.facebook.com 80
> Trying 69.63.186.11...
> Connected to www.facebook.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>

> Have you any idea  why it does not work.

These sites have lots of addresses so you will need to block every single
one of them. Depending upon the front ends used and where they are hosted
that may also block other stuff.

If you are not too worried about doing it securely then just
edit /etc/hosts and add fake entries for facebook.com/www.facebook.com.
If you are worried about doing it securely remove the network connector.

(Realistically its so trivial to use open proxies, gateways, tunnels that
you have to decide what you are trying to achieve)