Re: What is /usr/share/locale, and ...?

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 21:00 +0000, Beartooth TpBkR wrote:
> 	I'm trying to make space on a hard drive on a F11 machine. Baobab
> shows /usr/share/locale raking up a lot, and most of it looks superfluous
> if not silly to my untutored eyeballs.

That directory contains translations, especially those needed by
gettext-using applications.

It is likely safe to delete any directory in there for locales that you
do not use (for example, the "ja" directory if you have no need of
Japanese gettext translations).

Assuming you are careful in selecting which of these to keep and which
to remove, this will *probably* not harm the running of your system.
However, any package which installed such translations will no longer be
able to be updated via Presto (if you use this feature), since they will
be incomplete on-disk.

Also, any such packages will replace these translations upon subsequent
installations/updates. IIRC, this behavior can be adjusted by tweaking
the %_install_langs RPM macro.

I'm sure there are other caveats to be aware of here, but none others
come to mind at the moment.

That said, this seems far more trouble than it's worth just to free up
this extra few hundred MB of disk space. Perhaps you have old mock/Yum
caches that you could remove instead?

YMMV, of course.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>