Re: Re Fedora 11 Support for ATI HD3450 radianhd card

2009/6/26 Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein@xxxxxxxxx>:
> This is a 512 meg card that worked just fine with propriatory drivers for
> Fedora 10.  I am now at the latest kernel, (as of June 25th, ...*191) and I
> would like to be able to have compiz and that card working.

The proprietary Catalyst driver for RadeonHD cards doesn't yet support
Linux 2.6.29, so it's quite hard to make it work on Fedora 11. AFAIK,
AMD hasn't stated when support for Linux 2.6.29 or newer is going to
get included in the driver.

The free driver included in Fedora has support for your card, but it
currently doesn't yet provide 3D acceleration for it, which makes
running Compiz on top of it kind of impossible.

> Compiz is used to provide a quick selection of an open window from all the
> open windows on the current desktop.

If you really need Compiz, you'd maybe want to put off upgrading to
Fedora 11 until there are 3D-capable drivers that you can use with F11
and your graphics hardware.
--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@xxxxxxxxx