Re: R: Re: [was (no subject)] Wireless in F11

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 26 June 2009 14:53:07 Z3N58@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
i'm very sorry for the object, i can assure that wasn't intenctional, i
forgot!
so, using the command lspci the answer is: 06:00.0 Network controller:
Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
i don't know lther cmd to know
wich version of broadcom i have.
reading tha page http://www.dnmouse.
org/broadcom.html i can understand that is supported but afther is written
"only tha 2.4 Ghz part" and i don't understand if with my cpu (AMD Sempron™
SI- 42  2,1 GHz, cache L2 = 512 KB) will works!

thank's everybody for the
answers...
ivan

OK - the chipset, which is the important bit, is BCM4312 revision 01. If you put linux BCM4312 into google or any other search engine you will find lots of answers. At a quick look it seems to be saying that there is not a built-in driver for this, and you may need to use ndiswrapper with the windows driver. I did see more than one site with explanations of how to do this. (Of course as newer kernels are released this may change, and may have already changed.)

I suggest that you look through the list that the search returns for an entry in your own language that gives a good explanation. If you can't see one, find a promising one in another language then try google-translate - it won't give a perect translation but usually it's good enough to understand.

Depending on whether you want to be perfectly open source politically correct or just have a working system with no illegal software, you could try the kmod-wl driver from rpmfusion. Works for me, I'm happy to say, and I didn't have to buy new hardware.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>