Re: installer hangs

solarflow99:
>> - What is the netinst.iso for?  It doesnt seem to do anything the
>> disc1.iso does, and I cant find any documentation on it.

Tim:
> A small bootable image that can be used to install over a network (the
> network having the packages to be installed).  That *network* could be
> your LAN, or one of the internet mirrors.
>
> It also replaces what were the rescue discs.  A small bootable image
> with tools used for repairing a stuffed system.

Oh, and I believe it can do hard drive installs, too.  Where the install
packages, or large DVD ISO, is on a local hard drive, but you boot up
from the small net install ISO.

Yes, there is an advantage in doing that.  It can be slow to install
from a DVD, being a medium with slow seek speed, slow spin-up speeds
(read a large package, package installs, drive slows down in the
meantime, needs to spin-up again to read the next package).  Whereas a
small boot disc is read at the beginning of the install routine, then
everything else comes off a much faster hard drive.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.