F11 DVD install video problem and solution

While installing F11 x86_64 from the DVD everything would go swimmingly
during language, timezone selection, then fail when it moved on.
It would be happily running along, then the screen would go blank and
all DVD and HD access would stop, obviously no error message :-) .
Media passed the check. Eventually, I figured out that this was a
consistent error and selected the low res option and was able to
successfully install.

On reboot, the system still retained the low res for everything.  There
was an xorg.conf file with this as the only setting.  To fix things, I
removed the xorg.conf, then edited the entry in the grub menu.  I took
out the nomodeset and added vga=0x317.  After that, everything worked
and the consoles were even useable. I actually ran the Xorg -configure
and it created an xorg.conf.new that looked OK, but I didn't use it.

My video hardware is an ancient nvidia card that I have been running on
the nv or nouveau drivers without problems forever.  Seemed strange it
should have a problem.

Maybe this will help someone with the same issue.