Re: two F11 issues

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 06:36:37AM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:18:30PM -0400, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> > > Hi everyone!
> > >
> > > F11 live cd, booting from USB on a eeepc 901 (20 gig model).
> > >
> > > boots fine, pretty much everything works fine.
> > >
> > > But...
> > > 1) sound volume is so low as to be nearly inaudible. I've cranked up every
> > > mixer/volume control I can find, including alsamixer. I know that in F10, doing
> > > that worked--every new kernel on f10 would reset alsamixer to 50%, and I'd
> > > have to go reset it. But F11 seems to be different. Clues pls?
> >
> > Unfortunately this will not work with the Live CD, but if you installed the Live CD to your hard drive I am sure it will work. At least it did for me on my 1000HE.
> >
> > You might want to try setting the options for the snd-hda-intel module.
> >
> > For my EEE-1000HE I created the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and put the following lines:
> >
> > options snd-hda-intel model=quanta
> >
> > This broke my onboard microphones, but it made the sound much better.
> >
> > What you can try is the following:
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
> >
> > Then look on this site http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt for your model.
> >
> > For example, on my current Laptop the above command gives me
> >
> > Codec: Realtek ALC268
> >
> > So on the site I scroll down to the ALC267/268 section and I see the following:
> >
> > 66	ALC267/268
> > 67	==========
> > 68	  quanta-il1	Quanta IL1 mini-notebook
> > 69	  3stack	3-stack model
> > 70	  toshiba	Toshiba A205
> > 71	  acer		Acer laptops
> > 72	  acer-dmic	Acer laptops with digital-mic
> > 73	  acer-aspire	Acer Aspire One
> > 74	  dell		Dell OEM laptops (Vostro 1200)
> > 75	  zepto		Zepto laptops
> > 76	  test		for testing/debugging purpose, almost all controls can
> > 77			adjusted.  Appearing only when compiled with
> > 78			$CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
> > 79	  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)
> >
> > Since my laptop is a Toshiba, I use the toshiba model option so the line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf looks like:
> >
> > options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba
> >
> > I think for you the model will be ALC269 so you can try either of the following (replace "toshiba" from the above line with one of the options below):
> >
> > basic
> > quanta
> > eeepc-p703
> > eeepc-p901
> > fujitsu

right, the 901 reports it's a ALC269. So I tried adding the entry you suggested
to modprobe.conf using eeepc-0901 and it didn't change the sound after a
reboot. So I got brave and tried "basic", rebooted, and voila! Sound! :) :)
Haven't yet tried headphones, but I will shortly.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------