Re: OT: Dual Pentium III, good enough for current 2.6 kernel linux?

2009/6/23 Alan Evans <ame.fedora@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Fernando Cassia<fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I惴 contemplating what to do with one of my old desktops which is a
>> dual Pentium III, 650Mhz, with 1 Gig of RAM and
>> ATA-33 hard disk controller, plus two Elsa Gloria Synergy 8MB PCI
>> video adapters (video chipset? I don愒 even remember) for a
>> dual-display config.
>>
>> Would Fedora 11 run OK in such a system. I惴 afraid Gnome might eat a
>> lot of the cpu horsepower available, just for eye candy...
>
> I have an old laptop that dreams of specs like that. It runs GNOME on
> F11 just fine.
>
> (Single-core Pentium III, 750MHz, 384MB RAM, Blah video hardware.)

All PIIIs are single cores, AFAIK. Mine is dual in the sense of having
two CPUs, including heatsink. You know, good ole "SMP" before the
multicore craze started.

Good to know F11 runs OK. I wasn´t even sure it included i586 kernels.

FC